Our Lodge took its name from the the Most Worshipful, The Grand Master Mason of Scotland, The Most Honourable John George, Marquess of Tullibardine, who was the 80th Grand Master Mason and served from 1908-1913. He was known as the Marquess of Tullibardine from 1871-1913 and then became Colonel John George Stewart-Murray, the 8th Duke of Atholl.
The Marquess of Tullibardine is a subsidiary title of the Duke of Atholl, usually held by the eldest son. Marquess is the Scottish spelling of the word Marquis or Marques. The Duke of Atholl is clan chief of the Clan Murray and a feudal Baron who enjoyed certain heraldic honours akin to those of the peerage.
Tullibardine was probably an area, so called in ancient times, at the foot of the Ochil Hills in Perthshire, where the Highlands of Scotland begin.
Our Lodge members wear the Tartan of the Murray of Atholl. The Arms or Crest of Lodge Tullibardine in the East are a combinations of the Coats of Arms of the Duke of Atholl and of the Grand Lodge of Scotland.
The Shield is divided into 2 halves.
That on the left has a light blue background, bearing a silver Chevron or Square on which is extended a pair of golden compasses. Above the Chevron are two silver castles, with a third below. This is from the Arms granted in 1473 to the Freemason’s Company of London and later used by the Grand Lodge of Scotland, which was founded in 1726.
That on the right is from the crest of the Duke of Atholl; a figure of a half naked man wreathed about the waist, holding in his right hand a dagger and in his left a key in natural colours, overwhich is the Coronet of a Marquess.
The Shield is supported by the traditional thistles of Scotland. Above the shield is a Lion Rampant taken from one of the supporters of the Duke of Atholl; and below is a leaping Tiger found in Malaysia.
The Sun in its splendour, the Moon and the Stars above the Lodge’s name are Masonic Symbols variously described in the craft ritual